A great earthquake has never tested modern construction of high-rise buildings. Ongoing studies question code requirements that were developed 20 years ago for mostly low and mid-rise buildings. High-rise construction can be more vulnerable because of unanticipated structural behaviors that were not written into original codes. Safety preparation for earthquakes like emergency drills can help to prevent damage and reduce injury.
Safety Tips for High-rise Buildings
1. Drop, cover, and hold on. Get under a desk or table as a doorway maybe unsound during a quake. If unable to get under a structure, move against an interior wall and protect neck with arms.
2. In a high-rise building, get away from windows and outside walls.
3. Expect that fire alarms and sprinklers may go off, although electricity may go out.
4. If the situation worsens and you become trapped, stay calm and get attention of rescuers by tapping on hard structures or metal to alert them of your location.
5. Do not use elevators or window cleaning equipment until they have been properly inspected for structural integrity.
About Contract Services Group, Inc.:
Contract Services Group, Inc. is an industry leading facilities services contractor with 40 years experience providing commercial janitorial, window cleaning, housekeeping staffing services and window washing systems. CSG is committed to safety excellence, high-performing building outcomes and redefining quality partnerships. http://www.csgcares.com